Re: [ecasound] Filters

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Filters
From: Taavi Burns (tburns_AT_gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 05:24:12 EET

A G is actually closer to 196Hz (in North America; 197Hz in Europe).
What's more important in this case, however, is _which_ G. :) The G
above middle C on the piano is at 392Hz (in NA; 394Hz in Europe).
So, depending on which range you were looking at (male or female?
countertenor?) this is the wrong range.

Also, human speech has a much wider bandwidth than a measly 100Hz.
Telephones are bandlimited to 4khz, and they sound crappy because of
it. Honestly, I don't know how one picks voices out of a recording
(though I've seen XMMS do a reasonable job of it when playing pop
music). But I know that using a bandpass filter won't do it. ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/