Re: [ecasound] Internal Format and 24-bits?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Internal Format and 24-bits?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 23:31:55 EET

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Len Moskowitz wrote:

> I don't expect to do anything more complicated than storing the 24-bit data
> to a WAV-format file and perhaps playing it; no processing, no editing.

24bit won't be a problem. Ecasound uses 32bit floats as its internal
format. As for inputs and outputs, both 24bit and 32bit (float and
integer) formats are supported (at least with ALSA, OSS soundcard drivers,
and wav and raw audio file formats).

If 32bit float doesn't seem enough, edit the
ecasound/libecasound/sample-specs.h file, and change sample_t type from
float to double and then recompile. After this change, ecasound will use
64bit doubles for all internal operations. Only drawback to this (aside
from performance) is that you will lose some features, like LADSPA plugin
support, which require 32bit float data.

> In the ecasound documentation it says that everything is converted to its
> internal format. Will there be any problem setting the internal format to
> 24-nbit/96 kHz so that the data stream is not ever resampled?

96kHz won't be a problem either, but be sure to add -sr:96000 to the
command-line to avoid resampling (otherwise ecasound would resample
to/from its default 44.1kHz internal srate).