Re: [ecasound] long file names in IAM

Subject: Re: [ecasound] long file names in IAM
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 00:59:32 EET

On 18 Dec 2001, Mario Lang wrote:

> In ecasound IAM, I am having trouble with long file names
> which contain strange characters like spaces.

This is actually an EDI-item ...

(edi-8) EIAM parser doesn't handle white-space properly (for instance
        "ai-add Filename with whitespace").
        - submitted: smassy, 8.5.2001

... this also means that it's something that should be fixed.

> Using \ diesnt help, and putting quotes around the filename doesnt
> help either. Ecasound cuts of the name at the first space it sees.

If anyone's interested in working on this, the main task is to write a new
version of ecasound/kvutils/kvutils.cpp:string_to_words(), possibly
string_to_words_quoted(), which is intelligent enough to notice quotes
and/or escaped spaces. The function is about under 20 lines of code, so
it's not an impossible task. :)

After that is done, you need to edit
ecasound/libecasound/eca-control.cpp:command():

void ECA_CONTROL::command(const string& cmd) {
  clear_last_values();
  clear_action_arguments();
- vector<string> cmds = string_to_words(cmd);
+ vector<string> cmds = string_to_words_quoted(cmd);
  vector<string>::iterator p = cmds.begin();

... and recompile ecasound. And of course, send the patch. :)