Re: [ecasound] JACK plugin added to ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] JACK plugin added to ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:55:12 EET

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, S. Massy wrote:

>>> Could you please give a brief overview of what JACK is for those of us
>>> not following LAD? Even a google search didn't turn up much... :(
>> http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
> That url doesn't work... :(
> I guess I'll just look in the LAD archives.

Oh but it should (at least works for me). Have you tried the
http://jackit.sf.net alias? Here's some others:

list web archives:
        http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/17668/0/
my early design doc:
        http://eca.cx/laaga

Basicly it's a new sound server project that has been discussed on
linux-audio-dev since early 2001. Name LAAGA was used to describe the
concept during early discussiong. The first implementation of this idea is
Paul Davis' JACK, which already fulfills nearly all the requirements that
were set, although still a bit buggy. So once again we need to thank Paul
for doing the hard work.

The natural next question is how JACK relates to aRts, esd, ALSA's
aserver, and other sound daemons? The biggest difference is that JACK aims
for lowlatency, synchronized connection of applications. The ultimate goal
is the ability to connect big interactive audio apps like a multitrack
recorder, drum machine, sw-sampler, and use them seamlessly together
without latency troubles.

The closest equivalent in the commercial world is
Steinberg/Propellerheads' Rewire - see
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/rewire/index.html ...