[ecasound] ladspa control outputs

Subject: [ecasound] ladspa control outputs
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_pilabs.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 23:40:31 EET

Ecasound is generally working well for me, but there's one big
thing I need, and others should....

I would really like to use the control output ports from LADSPA
plugins within the ecasound framework. Simply mapping a control port
output to an ecasound output file (non-audio) would suffice.
While searching this list's archive I found some mention of this
by Kai in Dec 2000, but I can't seem to find the feature
in the documentation. If this is not yet available I am willing
to implement it, as it is vital for my continued use of ecasound.

Additionally, using a ladspa control output to feed an ecasound
chainop parameter (like the -k options) would really facilitate
some good effect construction (eg. envelope controlled filters).

A side note for people using pyecasound and having problems
using alsa i/o (or other internal plugins): When Python loads
dynamic libraries (like pyecasound.so and hence libecasound.so)
it does NOT use the RTLD_GLOBAL flag with dlopen(), the result being
that future dlopens in the libecasound for the internal plugins
(like alsa, etc) fail because they cannot resolve symbols they
need from libecasound. You can get around this by patching the
Python source code and recompiling Python (2.x):
  In Python/dynload_shlib.c: change the line
            "handle = dlopen(pathname, RTLD_NOW);"
        to "handle = dlopen(pathname, RTLD_NOW|RTLD_GLOBAL);"
In the Python Changelog way back at 1.5 they stopped using
RTLD_GLOBAL because "it turned out to be a bad idea."
We'll see :)

jlc