Re: [ecasound] sync-related issues

Subject: Re: [ecasound] sync-related issues
From: John Denker (jsd_AT_research.att.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 18:28:38 EET

At 05:49 PM 11/6/01 +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> .... your choices are:
>
> 1) wait that someone implements (a) or (b) (with the risk that
> nobody ever implements it)
> 2) if you have people who know C++
> - write a hacked version of ecasound with hw-sync
> support for your purposes (this is probably faster than
> writing generic hw-sync support)
> - like above, but just fix the sw-sync
> - help ardour development so it fits your needs

Adding hw-sync seems like the best option. C++ is the native language
around here.

I'm allergic to kludges. (Otherwise I would have gone with the loopback
solution long ago.)

Of course fully "generic" HW sync is impossible, since not all hardware
even supports the concept, but if we're going to go to the trouble of
messing with this at all we might as well try to do a good job.

First of all, how about the following as an approach to the user-interface
issue:
$eca -c <<EoF
  cs-add doit
  use-hw-sync
  -a:rec -t:$rtime -f:s32_le,12,$rate -i:alsahw,0,0,0 \
    -ea:$gain -f:s16_le,8,$rate -o:$recfile.raw
  -a:play -f:s16_le,4,$rate -i:$playfile.raw \
    -f:s32_le,10,$rate -o:alsahw,0,0
  cs-connect
  run
EoF

That corresponds to what we are doing now, with the addition of the
"use-hw-sync" command, which would cause all chains to wait until started
by the "run" command.

Anybody have any better ideas for the user interface?

Any suggestions on how to implement this?