Re: [ecasound] problems with the loop device and changing formats

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problems with the loop device and changing formats
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:03:47 EET

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, S. Massy wrote:

> Still, it seems to be the same problem with low SRs that I first mentioned with
> alsa devices (xrun). If ever you try to play a .au file at 8000 hz you get a
> "wait_for_full failed". If my guess is right it probably starts when you
> drop below 22050 hz, as with the alsa problem. It seems like ecasound's engine
> has trouble coping with sr's lower than 22050 hz... weird...

Hmm, or possibly, ecasound's -z:db subsystem causes trouble.

Anyway, I tested the following and it works ok with /dev/dsp, still works
with ALSA, althought causes an xrun warning:

--cut--
ecasound -i foo.mp3 -f:16,1,8000 -o test.wav -x

~$ file test.wav
test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 8000 Hz

ecasound -sr:8000 -f:16,1,8000 -i test.wav -o /dev/dsp
ecasound_cvs -sr:8000 -f:16,1,8000 -i test.wav -o alsa
--cut--

... the last one causes an "(audioio-alsa3) unknown device state!" error
for some reason. But the playback does still work, even with -z:db
enabled.