[ecasound] problems with the loop device and changing formats

Subject: [ecasound] problems with the loop device and changing formats
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_uu.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 14:08:12 EET

Hi,

WOW NOW WHAT!

I install new CVS and alsa support is gone somehow!

well I will tell you about my problems with CVS of a couple days ago.

I tried the following chain setup file

# ecasound chainsetup file

# general
-b:64 -r:50 -z:intbuf -z:nodb -sr:48000 -n:one-hope-2 -X -z:noxruns -z:psr -t:316

# audio inputs
-a:1 -f:f32_le,1,48000 -i:audio2.wav,
-a:2 -f:f32_le,1,48000 -i:audio3.wav,
-a:3 -f:f32_le,1,48000 -i:audio4.wav,
-a:4 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:loop,1
-a:5 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:loop,2

# audio outputs
-a:2,3 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -o:loop,2
-a:1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -o:loop,1
-a:4,5 -f:s16_le,2,48000 -o:alsa,dsp1

# chain operators and controllers
-a:1 -^erc$:1.00,2.00
-a:2 -^epp$:0.00
-a:3 -^erc$:1.00,2.00 -^epp$:100.00
-a:4 -el:freeverb3,0.00,0.90,0.80,0.08,0.50,1.00 -^ea$:55.00
-a:5 -el:freeverb3,0.00,0.80,0.25,0.17,1.00,1.00

now when I start this, it produces noise! I have determined it is the
freeverb's that is doing the noise. I first have to start ecasound
rolling, THEN add them. When I start ecasound rolling, I get a burst of
noise, probably because the loop devices aren't initialized properly, then
I get recognizable sound...but only out of the left channel.

if I put all that crap on the command line and output to alsa,dsp1, all is
lovely (minus the freeverb of course) and then if I try to write to a wav
file, not only does the wav file run off the end of the session, but it
sounds quite dithered or processed, as if the wrong sample rate was used
internally somewhere.

I also noticed, to my shock and amazement, that when converting to the
loop devices it wanted to ocnvert to s16_le,2,44100. I did not wish this.

_J