Re: [ecasound] ECI and curses

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ECI and curses
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 11:39:22 EEST

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, janne halttunen wrote:
>
> > For example, commands: 'help', 'cs-add', ...
> [...]
> > This ofcourse messes up the curses terminal.
>
> Hmm, this is true. On the other hand, most of these are really debug-only,
> and shouldn't be necessary for users.
>
> > eci, they would return their contents as a string. (maybe an empty string
> > would be appropriate in low debug-levels)
>
> Now this is problematic. Ecasound prints debug messages in lots of
> different places, and directing these to the ECI system is not necessarily
> easy. But if you find really meaning messages that are not printed to ECI,
> there's always away to solve these. But I wouldn't like to direct all
> debugging info to the ECI just to get a few important ones.

Ok. Take 'cs-add', for example. When user does 'cs-add blah', obviously
ecasound adds chainsetup named 'blah', but user gets no feedback unless I
write some. (there are quite many of these commands returning None, [-])
And then if user happens to issue 'debug 3', and then type some of the [-]
commands, the screen fills up with crap (ofcourse the debug command
could be blocked).

So, you have a function with something like:

print_debug(3, 'Chainsetup added');

What if these print commands could be redirected to, f.ex, a FIFO?
(how about dump-target?) That would really help a lot.

janne