Re: [ecasound] ECI and curses

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ECI and curses
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 01:21:56 EEST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, janne halttunen wrote:

> today I did some experimenting with eci in curses, and noticed that some
> ecasound commands are hardcoded to print their content straight to
> console. (commands that return [-] through eci)
> For example, commands: 'help', 'cs-add', ...
[...]
> This ofcourse messes up the curses terminal. This happens only when the
> debug-level is rised. With low debug-levels, there's no feedback on these
> commands at all. It would be nice that when used through

Hmm, this is true. On the other hand, most of these are really debug-only,
and shouldn't be necessary for users. 'help' is one exception, and it
probably should be returned as string. And it might even make sense for
the curses-terminal to print out its own help. The current help pretty
much says "read the man page".

> eci, they would return their contents as a string. (maybe an empty string
> would be appropriate in low debug-levels)

Now this is problematic. Ecasound prints debug messages in lots of
different places, and directing these to the ECI system is not necessarily
easy. But if you find really meaning messages that are not printed to ECI,
there's always away to solve these. But I wouldn't like to direct all
debugging info to the ECI just to get a few important ones.