Re: [ecasound] How to start a chain in a certain position?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] How to start a chain in a certain position?
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:07:06 EEST

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, janne halttunen wrote:
>
> >> The ewf-format can handle offsets when in output mode. So instread of
> >> writing to xxx.wav, write to xxx.ewf. Something like:
> > Hey, this is a cool feature! Ofcourse I have an improvement
> > suggestion. (what are they called, edi's?)
> > What if there could be a check if the vocals.ewf file already existed, and
> > if it did, the engine could start the recording at the offset specified in
> > that file?
>
> Hmm, do you have some specific use-case in mind?

Okay, what about if you have a song almost prepared, but it lacks, say,
something like a guitar solo? So, you have a perfect spot for it, but you
have difficulties in getting into the groove immediatly after you
pushed the start-button. You perhaps want to jam a bit with the song,
before going to the hot spot? Ok, you could edit the crap out
afterwards, but that adds one step you cannot (at least currently) perform
in commandline. (or what about sox?)

> This feature might be a bit confusing - what happens when you issue
> "setpos", "fw" and similar command in iactive mode...?

Yep, it might be.

> Or were you thinking about limiting ecasound's access to only certain part
> of an audio file...?

No, I was just thinking about extra disk-activity in predefined timespan
in the cs. I mean, you use ewf's in input mode so that you write the .ewf,
then push start, and the .wav plays at the time specified in the the .ewf .
Why wouldn't you be able to do the same in output mode?

> Btw; The ewf-field name 'source' is not very good. Maybe just
> rename it to 'file' or more generic 'object'?

I vote 'object'.

janne