Re: [ecasound] -c: need to be able to specify a fd

Subject: Re: [ecasound] -c: need to be able to specify a fd
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 20:49:30 EEST

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> We need to be able to provide two fd to the -c flag
> so the defaults would be
[...]
> but -c:4,5 might have you reading from fd#4 and writing to #5

First, -c is already reserved was enabling interactive-mode. Second
problem is that fd's numbers >2 are different for each process and are
determined by the kernel (ie. the kernel usual gives you an fd of '3'
when you open the first file, but you can't rely on this).

> mrec 239.1.1.1/24430/7|ecasound -i stdin -o stdout -c:3,4 3</dev/stdin
> 4>/dev/stdout|msend 239.1.1.2/24432/7

Hmm, unfortunately we only have the two hardcoded fd's. How about using
names pipes to get extra streams.