[ecasound] ecasound-2.1dev2 quirks

Subject: [ecasound] ecasound-2.1dev2 quirks
From: John S. Denker (jsd_AT_research.att.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 20:12:13 EEST

Hi --

1) When compiling ecasound-2.1dev2, compilation failed when trying to
#include alsa/asoundlib.h

On my machine, asoundlib.h is sys/asoundlib.h -- presumably this depends on
what version of the alsa stuff one is using.

Workaround: mkdir alsa ; cd alsa ; ln -s ../sys/asoundlib.h .

Suggestion: Perhaps the ./configure script could check for this quirk and
deal with it?????

2) I managed to do a successful make. I did _not_ do a "make install";
instead I tried running /usr/src/ecasound-2.1dev2/ecasound/ecasound
directly. It almost worked. However, I got the following load-time error:
lt-ecasound: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/src/ecasound-2.1dev2/libecasound/.libs/libecasound.so.8: undefined
symbol: __14ATOMIC_INTEGERi

Wow, what an uniformative error message. A colleague of mine tracked this
down. Here is his report:

>The ATOMIC_INTEGER class is defined in the kvutils library,
>and is referenced by the libecasound library.
>ecasound is a shell script that creates .libs/lt-ecasound
>at runtime if needed and runs it.
>The shell script contains a very long link line whose
>options I'm unfamiliar with, but deduce that they aren't
>sufficient to tell lt-ecasound to search
>/usr/src/ecasound-2.1dev2/kvutils/.libs upon subsequent
>dynamic linking.
>I tried adding --rpath /usr/src/ecasound-2.1dev2/kvutils/.libs to the
>shell script, but that didn't help. So I added symlinks in the
>/usr/src/ecasound-2.1dev2/libecasound/.libs dir to point
>to all the kvutils libs, and it starts up now.

Suggestion: It is really nice to be able to run ecasound versions without
doing a "make install". (We are talking about a pre-alpha developmental
version, and I don't want to overwrite the released version that is
installed on my machine.) The software is obviously trying fairly hard
already to support this capability; it would be wonderful to make it go
the small remaining distance to the goal.

Thanks --- jsd