Re: [ecasound] warning about system freezes

Subject: Re: [ecasound] warning about system freezes
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 11:28:37 EEST

> I've had total system freezes after upgrading a lot after
> buying a new soundcard, so i guess ecasound-2.1.0 has been the
> problem. my machine is a amd-k2 450MHz with alsa-0.9.8, normally

Are you sure - 2.1.0 was released just yesterday? ;)
The stable ecasound versions (2.0.x) don't have
this problem (or at least has not been reported).

> running at 504MHz. i switched back to 450MHz and have had no
> system freeze since then, so it has probably something
> to do with timing things right.

Have the crashes happened when running ecasound as a non-root
user? If so, it's probably a driver issue. Bugs in drivers
are probably the most common causes for kernel
crashes.

The ecasound 2.1.0 crash is not a real kernel crash.
For instance, it's possible to ping the frozen machine.
So the network stack is working, which again means
that the kernel is running. It's just that ecasound
threads are in a deadlock (or actually a livelock)
and consume 100% of user-space resources (due to
SCHED_FIFO scheduling, which is much like running
apps under MS-DOS :)).