Re: [ecasound] kvutils

Subject: Re: [ecasound] kvutils
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 12:56:41 EEST

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I think it is time to make kvutils its own package and make eca* depend on
> it and when you update kvutils such that eca* needs the new features,
> update the library version and make configure fuss so you go update
[...]
> You may end up with a zillion packages like ardour does, but at least you
> will know when something is out of sync easier.

Need I say more? :)

I really, really don't want to separate kvutils. For maintaince pov,
shared libraries are _evil_. If you just grep/search through the
ecasound-list archive, huge amount of problems people have are related to
shared libs. And it takes way too much of my already little freesw time to
do this completely unproductive work. I admit that it's been more than
once I've thought about going to static-only binaries. :)

In Debian, libkvutils and libecasound are already separate packages and
dependencies are handled properly (thanks go to Junichi).

> I ran a make a few days ago on the ecasound tree and came back today to
> find it had built fine, so I typed make just to make sure and it is now
> building things because kvutils was built and then now it wants to use the
> new headers etc so it is building again.

You are probably talking about the 2.1.0 CVS-tree. I did make a change to
libkvutils when I started the 2.1 branch. But these changes happen very,
very rarely and only when libecasound also changes. When libecasuond is
frozen, libkvutils is also. If you take a look at kvutils/ChangeLog, there
has been only 12 changes since 21.03.2001. That's not a lot.