Re: [ecasound] controlling controllers

Subject: Re: [ecasound] controlling controllers
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 19:56:37 EEST

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, S. Massy wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2001, janne halttunen <jhalttun@pp.htv.fi> wrote:
>
> > -etd: delay-time, surround-mode, number-of-delays, mix-% \
> > -kos: 1, start-value, end-value, freq, i-phase \
> > -kx -kos: 3, start-value, end-value, freq, i-phase \ # controls 1st controller
> > -kos: 4, start-value, end-value, freq, i-phase \ # should control delay(?)
> > -kx -kos: 3, start-value, end-value, freq, i-phase # controls 2nd controller
> >
> > What Im worried about is line 4, which should control the mix-% in the
> > delay-effect. Does it so or does it control the controller controlling the
> > 1st controller? And if I wanted the latter, how does it come about?
> >
> I think you're right to worry. :) From what I understand, the minute you use
> -kx the only thing you can control is the last controller, so it's not
> actually possible to have two controllers targeted to a cop which are
> themselves targets to other controllers. It seems that for each cop you can
> only have one controller being controlled (which must be specified last if
> several controllers are targeted to a cop). Flaw or feature?

Seems like a limitation of the current syntax. Maybe if there was an
addition to the -kx switch, so that:

-kx:1 - would control the previous controller (same as -kx without parameters)
-kx:0 - would control the original effect

..or invent yet another switch for the latter.

But then again, there would appear similar 'branches' when you go deeper:

-effect
-ctrl1 (controls effect) -kx -ctrl2 (controls ctrl1)
-ctrl3 (controls ctrl1) -kx -ctrl4 (controls ctrl3)

..now I could reach effect with -kx:0 switch, but how about ctrl2? Should
there be -kx:y, where y would be the distance from the following controller,
special-casing 0, which would mean the effect?

So that if I wanted to start a branch on ctrl2:

-effect
-ctrl1 (controls effect) -kx -ctrl2 (controls ctrl1)
-ctrl3 (controls ctrl1) -kx -ctrl4 (controls ctrl3)
-kx:3 -ctrl5 (controls ctrl2)

What do you think?

janne