[ecasound] -a:xx freezes (was: Re: [multiple chain problem])

Subject: [ecasound] -a:xx freezes (was: Re: [multiple chain problem])
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 21:07:38 EEST

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Phil Freeman wrote:

> I recompiled with --disable-ncurses and am still having the same issue. I am
> currently recompiling with --enable-debug --disable-ncurses --disable-alsa (use
> oss currently). Can you help me with some pointers as to debugging this issue ?
> is there anything similar to -d:255 i can do to get more info ? i tried an
> strace, but that provided little usefull information.

Doh, if --disable-ncurses didn't help, this gets much more difficult. Few
months ago one Slackware user was tracking down this problem and sent me
lots of gdb traces. Most of the time, processing froze somewhere in
libstdc++, in the string routines. This didn't make any sense. So it's
some weird library/compiler interaction thing, which makes it all the more
difficult to trace.

Probably the best debug approach is to run ecasound_debug (result from
--enable_debug) under gdb, and see where it gets stuck, and then print the
backtrace ("bt" command).