[ecasound] Problems with double-buffering and Hammerfall

Subject: [ecasound] Problems with double-buffering and Hammerfall
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (larsi@gnus.org)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 18:21:00 EEST

With ALSA 0.9.6beta6, ecasound 2.0.2 and the Hammerfall digital sound
card, I get overruns when recording.

I tried switching on the double buffering, but it doesn't make much of
a difference. I notice that when I'm recording from my SB Live card,
-z:db forks an extra ecasound process that uses about as much CPU as
the primary process. Doing the same with my Hammerfall also forks an
extra ecasound process, but it uses no CPU at all.

Is this a known problem? I double buffering of the Hammerfall card
impossible?

I use the following command line to record:

$ ecasound -z:db "-f:s16_le,2ch,44100,interleaved" -i alsa,testchan -f:s16_le,2ch,44100,interleaved -o a1.raw

And this is the output. I usually about one overrun per 30 minutes or
so -- very irregularly.

* ecasound v2.0.2 (C) 1997-2001 Kai Vehmanen
(eca-chainsetup) Using double-buffer of 100000 sample frames.
(eca-chainsetup) Setting buffersize to (samples) 4096.
- [ Chainsetup/Enabling audio inputs ] -------------------------------------
lmi: number of channels: 2
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "alsa", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
- [ Chainsetup/Enabling audio outputs ] ------------------------------------
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "/stage/processing/Throwing Muses/a1.raw", mode "read/write".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
(eca-main) Prefilling i/o buffers.
(audioio-alsa3) warning! overrun - samples lost!