[ecasound] Moving from v1.9dev5 to v2.0.1 -> performance goes down

Subject: [ecasound] Moving from v1.9dev5 to v2.0.1 -> performance goes down
From: Teppo Peltonen (tpeltone@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 20:33:32 EEST

Hello,

I've been using ecasound v1.9dev5 (rpm) for a some time now and it
works pretty well.

I can say

ecasound -r -z:db -b:128 -i:/dev/dsp -o:/dev/dsp

and get a clean sound.

If I want add some effects I have to use -b:256, but that's rather
tolerable...

However, when I upgrade my ecasound to the latest version, 2.0.1, the
performance unexpectably goes down and I have to use a larger buffer
size (maybe 1024, can't quite remember)... which is really
unfortunate.

I was wondering, if there was something specific that has changed
between the two versions. Right now it makes no sense whatsoever for
me to make the upgrade.

The other problem that I've been having with the newer 2.0.x versions
is that my ewf-loop files stop functioning properly. I think, that for
some reason the loop length is computed in a different way and after
looping for a while the loop gets totally out of sync with the other
tracks. This is very annoying. The only solution that I've come up
with is to fix all the loop lengths by ear... but I haven't tried that
yet.

Otherwise, ecasound is great!

I've the Hoontech XG sound card with the Yamaha 754 chip and I'm using
the ALSA CVS driver with OSS emulation.

Thanks a lot for any comments, have a nice day,

Teppo