Re: [ecasound] ecasound syntax

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound syntax
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 03:54:04 EEST

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> wrote:

> But I've had a few approaches to this problem on my todo list for quite a
> while. For instance:
>
> -i:notype,.raw,testi.wav
> -i:explicit,.raw,testi
> -I:.raw,testi.wav
>
> In the first two examples we use the old '-i' syntax. 'notype' (or
> 'explicit') is a special proxy file type that opens the filename given as
> the 2nd parameter using the explicit object type (for instance .raw). A
> bit clumsy notation-wise, but should work.
>
> The '-I' syntax just skips the 'notype/explicit' part. Main problem with
> this approach is handling the inverse procedure (for instance when we need
> to save a live setup with 'cs-save') - it's somewhat difficult.

I agree that being able to override the type as defined by the file
name is a feature that is needed; however it seems to me that the
ordinary way of selecting the filetype is what 99% of the people will
want 99% of the time. So it'd be a pity to clutter the -i/-o syntax
unless it's done in an unobstrusive way. Best ways seem to me to be:
- Make it an optional argument to -f like in -f:bits_end,ch,sr[,type]
- Make it an optional argument to -i/-o (after the actual file/pipe
name) as in -i:stdin,wave

Makes any sense?