Re: [ecasound] Trouble with capture and latest alsa

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Trouble with capture and latest alsa
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 21:52:43 EEST

Hi,

I am not sure what this card is, possibly a multichannel card?

I have recently tried with an RME9652 and seen wierd errors. I wonder if
ecasound doesn't handle noninterleave data very well, but there is also
all sorts of places where you can shoot yourself in the foot.

When you specify alsahw, you are telling ecasound/alsa to ask for the hw
level and you'd better get the card's native format right or it won't
work. So assuming you've gotten the card to play under ecasound, capture
should work.

I recently tried capture with the RME and noticed it was all quiet, there,
but quiet. Since OSS/kernel support for the RME is less than half-baked,
I unloaded the OSS modules and instead preloaded the libaoss library
(alsa-oss) and created an entry in my .asoundrc like this

pcm.dsp0 {
        type plug;
        slave rme9652;
        ttable.0.2 1;
        ttable.1.3 1;
}

pcm_slave rme9652 {
        card 0;
}

I might have forgotten something in there, but the important part is the
transfer table. This in effect put channels 2 and 3 on top of 0 and 1. Now
since the alsa layer was no longer trying to mix all 24 channels for me, I
got nice levels. A caveat which I haven't fully solved yet is that the
outputs showed up on 2 and 3 as well

ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -r -b:128

so I have to figure out how to fix this (if I can) last time I brought up
asoundrc with Abramo he said my comments were too cheeky and that I should
get more specific.

Hope this helps.

If performance is a concern, try ardour and see if that helps.

_J