Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 20:08:50 EEST

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, S. Massy wrote:

>> I have a whole library of files that play fine using mpg123, but not using
>> ecasound or ecaplay. Ecasound returns:
[...]
> Anyway, the answer to the problem is in a post I sent a few weeks ago.
> Your file is a proof of this: the first legible header is at the 2138th byte.
> As ecasound only parses the first 1024 bytes of the file for a header it
> finds none and therefore assumes wrongly that this file isn't a true mp3 file.

Yup, this is a clear bug. I just submitted completely rewritten mp3 header
parsing code to the ecasound CVS. I throwed the old layer.cpp away
altogether (well, physically it's still there but it's not used). The new
code is based on the mpg123 plugin that comes with XMMS v1.2.5pre1.

Additionally, by raising debug level to 'user objects' (or -d:255 to get
everything), you get the following output:

(audioio-mp3) Total file size (bytes): 3676706.00
(audioio-mp3) Bitrate (bits/s): 128000.00
(audioio-mp3) Sampling frequncy (Hz): 44100.00
(audioio-mp3) Total length (frames): 8796
(audioio-mp3) Total length (seconds): 230
(audioio-mp3) Pcm per mp3 frames: 1152

... if something still goes wrong, send me the above info.