Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files
From: harvey smith (harvey@buskers.org)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 01:59:01 EEST

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, William Goldsmith wrote:

> > Anyway, the answer to the problem is in a post I sent a few weeks ago.
> > Your file is a proof of this: the first legible header is at the 2138th
> byte.
> > As ecasound only parses the first 1024 bytes of the file for a header it
> > finds none and therefore assumes wrongly that this file isn't a true mp3
> file.
> >
> Is that due to the presence of an ID3v2 tag?. Is there an easy tweak to
> ecasound so that it reads further into the file?

Yes I think so. Checking you file with a utility called mp3check shows:

 [harvey@tunes Audio]$ mp3check -e 10002.mp3
 10002.mp3:
 2138 bytes of junk before first frame header
 frame 8791: file truncated, 128 bytes missing for last frame (0x00381aa2)

I have good luck removing the *junk before first frame header* before
streaming, but you will lose your id3v2 tags. The *file truncated* isn't a
problem, nor would *junk at the end* be (ie ID3v1 tags). At least that's
been my expirence.

so that I would *fix* this by doing:

 mp3check --cut-junk-start --ign-truncated --ign-junk-end 10002.mp3

losing the tags.

Hope that helps

-Harvey