Re: [ecasound] realtime processing of channels separately

Subject: Re: [ecasound] realtime processing of channels separately
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 03:27:48 EEST

On Wed, 30 May 2001, David Cook wrote:

> I want to apply a different EQ to left and right channels of a stereo input
> with stereo output in realtime. I've tried variations on the following
> without success:
This is VERY unfortunately not possible currently, not that I know at least.
That's a feature that would be _really_ nice to see in ecasound; think of
all the applications it might have.

> ecasound -b:128 -a:1,2 -i foo.wav -a:1,2 -f:16,2,44100 -o /dev/dsp0 \
> -a:1 -f:16,2,44100 -erc:1,1 \
> -el:mbeq_1197,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70,-70 \
> -a:2 -f:16,1,44100 -erc:2,1 -el:mbeq_1197,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
The problem here is that when you do -erc:2,1 you basically mix ch2 with ch1,
thus giving the result you noticed. What we would need is the capacity either
to _mute_ a given channel or to _read_ an arbitrary channel from a file.
There is actually one way to get around this problem, using loops, but it
crashes ecasound whenever I try it... :(

So for now I'm afraid you're stuck doing it in non-realtime: split the stereo
file in two mono and reassemble them applying whatever effects you like.

If anybody knows of a better way I am eager to hear it.

Regards,
S. Massy