[ecasound] Mp3 header parsing

Subject: [ecasound] Mp3 header parsing
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 07:06:35 EEST

If you will remember, someone spoke of some mp3 files not working with
ecasound a while ago; I hit that problem myself and started to poke
around to see what it might be all about. I found out that all the
rejected files were those with their first legible header above the
thousandth byte. So, already having a suspicion, I poked some more and
found that ecasound really parses only the first 1024 bytes of the mp3
file. This is good for most of these but apparently not for all of
them. So the obvious way to make this work would be either to parse a
larger part of the file from the beginning or, which I believe would
be more efficient, to allow a second (or more) chance to the file,
meaning that if the first K of data didn't contain a valid header the
next segment would be parsed, therefore giving more chances to true
mp3 files to be recognized as such.