Re: [ecasound] new controller: -klg

Subject: Re: [ecasound] new controller: -klg
From: Arto Hamara (artham@utu.fi)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 21:07:51 EEST

"S. Massy" <theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org> writes:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>
> > Arto Hamara just submitted a new controller source type: -klg, a generic
> > linear envelope. I've committed this right away to the CVS-tree (version
> > now 1.9dev7). Arto, feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood some
> > part of your code.
> A very cool controller, however it seems to behave quite strangely, or is it
> that I have misunderstood the manpage?
>
> command:
> $ ecasound -i:test.wav -o:/dev/dsp -ea:0 -klg:1,0,100,4,0,0,10,1,25,1,35,0 -c
>
> ctrl-status:
> - [ Controller status ] ----------------------------------------------------
> Chain "default":
> 1. Generic linear envelope:
> [1] param-id 1.00,
> [2] range-low 0.00,
> [3] range-high 100.00,
> [4] point_count 8.00,
> [5] pos 0.00,
> [6] val 0.00,
> [7] pos 1.00,
> [8] val 1.00,
> [9] pos 1.00,
> [10] val 1.00,
> [11] pos 0.00,
> [12] va 0.00
>
> Despite the funny parameters shown it still behaves as expected: fades in for
> ten seconds, remains still for fifteen seconds and then fades out during ten
> seconds...
> In adition, it rings the terminal bell when I use klg, go figure.......
>
> Any idea what might be going on here?

Basically, it's buggy as hell. ;)

Namely, when setting parameter names point index itself (and not its
string representation) is added to 'pos'/'val', which yields lots of
funny ascii-characters (the beep is presumably the bell character).
You can see this clearly if you set over 32 control points.
(I think this also concerns -kog)
I'll fix it next Wednesday(sp?).

The function that returns parameter values also has a (stupid) bug
in it. (Kai, you could fix that: line 113 should read param%2,
not param&2)

/arto