Re: [ecasound] A question, a weird problem and a bug

Subject: Re: [ecasound] A question, a weird problem and a bug
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 01:43:06 EEST

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, S. Massy wrote:

> I did some monitoring while ecasound was doing some real-time
> processing because I was eager to find out where possible clashes
> could occur and also just how tiresome it might be for my cpu. I was
> a bit surprised to find out that the amount of cpu power in use varied
> greatly whereas it remains relatively stable for normal operations

If you had the -z:db system enabled, it could be causing this
variation. Unlike the main engine thread which runs at realtime speed
(= soundcard speed), the slave thread used for disk i/o runs at maximum
speed (allowed by the disk subsystem) and stops only when the
double-buffer gets full. So as a result, system load will not be constant.

> Finally I noticed that whenever an xrun occurs and alsa device is used
> for playback, the playback does not resume and the following is
> printed:
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:254:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed:File descriptor in bad state
> The processing continues but what is sent to that particular device is
> not heard. I have to issue a "stop" then "start" for the device to be
> properly initialized once again. As I understand it, when encountering

Does this happen with the recent ecasound and ALSA versions?