Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 03:47:05 EEST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, S. Massy wrote:

> this but, as I said, I got quite confused. Also I had this question:
> wouldn't it be useful if we could set the position of multiple objects
> with only a few commands? meaning multiple object selection. But then it
> wouldn't be much more hassle to do it for inputs and outputs separately.

Although I must admit this would have many uses, I'd still like to keep
the current selection system as it is. Multiple chain selection is a
important feature, because it allows inputs/outputs to be connected to
multiple chains. So with chains, there's a clear need for this feature.

With other objects, it would just be a convenience feature, and something
that could possibly cause unnecessary confusion (for instance, selectin
multiple audio inputs and chains and then issuing ai-attach ...).

>> drop chain-level position commands (c-getpos, c-setpos, etc) altogether.
>> These seem to just cause confusion. Then we'd have the audio object
> And I suggest:
> [chain level]
> - Query position? no
> - Set absolute position (setpos)? no
> - Set relative position of objects (c-fw/rw)? yes

Hmm, this sounds good to me. Maybe we should also keep 'c-setpos'...? Like
before, it would set the absolute position of all connected inputs and
outputs.

> Because the IAM is so closely tied to the API such changes are of great
> effect (they would basically break any apps linked to ecasound), that's why
> they should be done early on. Well, at least the modification of existing
> command should as adding new commands wouldn't hurt existing programs.

True. Releasing 2.0 without these changes wouldn't be a good move. Oh
well, I've now completed most of the big changes, so things are starting
look good again...