Re: [ecasound] Zombies' revenge

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Zombies' revenge
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 09:02:00 EEST

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, S. Massy wrote:

> I'm sorry to announce that you haven't gotten rid of all the zombies
> yet. I've just found out that, while in normal conditions it's hardly
> possible to create any, they're still well alive when the db-system is
> turned on. for instance, do:

Yup, this is unfortunately true. These guys - although living dead :) -
are more like features than bugs. In other words, when ecasound exits, all
mp3 zombies are killed properly. ;)

This is actually quite a classical case of what you get when you start
mixing traditional Unix programming (like forking) with threads. Now
ecasound is multithreaded, and depending on the situation, different
threads operate the mp3 objects. But in Unix, child processes can only be
killed by their parents (in Linux 'thread' ~= 'process'). But what do
you do, when you're in another thread, and you need to kill and re-fork the
child (seek for instance). Now there are ways around this, but I took the
easy approach and just keep a log of various child processes I've started
and take care of them later.

> PS: It'd be nice to have some sort of way to search the mailing list
> as scrolling through the archive of a whole month to find back the
> exact subject of a thread can be much of a hassle.

Hmm, maybe I should extend the LAD mailing list search engine to
cover ecasound-list (with separate web search pages of course). It seems
that this list continues to be active. :) Looking at my mail archive,
this is the 1682th message to this list (starting from 28.8.1999).