Re: [ecasound] System requirements

Subject: Re: [ecasound] System requirements
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 13:48:09 EEST

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Stuart Allen wrote:

> Having read a few messages on this list, I am starting to realise just
> how difficult it is to predict how different hardware combinations
> will perform when recording with ecasound. Having said this, though, I
> am trying to find out what is likely to be the minimum spec machine
> that will allow multitrack recording. Also, perhaps somebody may have

Quoting my answer to M-Station
(http://www.crosswinds.net/~linuxmusic/kai.html):

--cut--
mstation> What sort of minimum machine requirments are we talking about
mstation> for ecasound to do say, 8 tracks with heavy "chaining"
mstation> of effects on 4 tracks?

     This is really hard to say. First I must admit that ecasound
     performance is not optimal. I'm interested in high-level programming
     and design methods, and ecasound has always been my test bench
     for new ideas. I prefer simple solutions and try to avoid unnecessary
     hacks. The resulting code is easy to maintain and more stable.
     But back to your question, with my P166 box I can mix about 14-16
     mono tracks in realtime. But I'd say that no machine is too slow or
     too fast for ecasound. If you don't have enough hardware resources,
     you can do separate submixes (like bouncing with analog 4-tracks),
     apply effects separately (to free cpu-power), or if nothing else
     helps, you can do everything non-realtime.
--cut--

... so ecasound is quite flexible when it comes to hw requirements.