[ecasound] mixing with -ei in eiam?

Subject: [ecasound] mixing with -ei in eiam?
From: Mario Lang (mlang@home.delysid.org)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 21:38:02 EEST

Hi.

As the subject cryptographically implies, I am trying to
use ecasound to do mixing of different tracks to get them
to the same speed. Or in other word, use it for a NON-realtime turntable-pair.

My main problems seem to be:
1. When I use -ei with only one audio input object, I can specify values >100.
   But when I have more than one aio, I can only give values below 100.
   Values above 100 generate crackling noise, sometimes sounding like a delay
   loop and some other times even segfaulting.
2. How can I specify that a aio object should only start after a specific
   time in a chainsetup? It would be great to be able to set the actual
   time the object starts and -ei <>100 in IAM, because in combination
   with rw/fw this could be used to do the job very quickly.

I tried the same thing long ago with sox. It was very painful
to do:
1. Mix file1 + file2 (beginning at pos x of file 1 with resampling factor y)
2. listen to it
3. figure a nice x.
4. do 1-2 till 3 is satisfied.
5. figure a nice y
6. do 1-2 till 5 is satisfied.

As you can see, this was of course a real PITA.
ecasound can already do all of this I think, but when I am forced
to use ewf to set actual starting position, I think I cant use IAM, which
would be very efficient.

Perhaps aio-positions sould be relative to a aio-global-position.

Or did I just miss anything really here?

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>