[ecasound] volume controller (-ksv)

Subject: [ecasound] volume controller (-ksv)
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 00:54:34 EET

I'm sorry if I seem to be flooding this list with ideas/wishlist
items; I don't expect them to be implemented necessarily. On the other
hand, I feel that if I run into certain needs during my daily
processing it is possible that someone else had, or eventually will,
meet the same needs and therefore feel it is worth
mentioning. anyway...
In my proposal for a "sliding gate" which partly was responsible for
the birth of -ksv I had suggested a min and max amplitude between
which the value should be moved; where below min_amplitude the
controller would steadily output zero and the target remain at
low_value, and above max_amplitude the controller would keep
outputting one and the target stay at upper_value. Now the reason for
that at the time was that the idea of that controller had initially
been born from the desire to have a leslie-like effect going faster
and faster and the sound would get louder and then slow down as the
sound would fade. (BTW, it's now quite possible to achieve that,
thanks to -ksv and audio-stamps; try to buy a stompbox that can do
that!) But now I see some more reasons for such parameters to be
added: basically in a recording you never get total silence (ambient
noise or hum are always part of the game) and you always have some
headroom as well; this means that currently min and max values for
-ksv are almost never reached, this problem would be addressed if it
was possible to set a max and min amplitude between which the value
would move. Also, being able to set these parameters would allow a
better control of the steepness of the curve (how fast the value
changes in accord to the volume). Does that make sense? Would it be
too complicated to implement? I thought something like:
-ksv:fx-param,min-amp-%,max-amp-%,start-value,end-value,stamp-id,rms-toggle

Regards,
S. Massy