[ecasound] synchro problem

Subject: [ecasound] synchro problem
From: Roy Cutler (rcutler@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 20:44:01 EET

Hi, I'm enjoying exploring ecasound and am becoming comfortable with the way
it does things. But I am having a problem with synchronization. I've tuned
disks, etc and the system is working well. I already have a vocal and drum
track (that seemed to work fine but it was several days ago and I don't know
if I'm doing something differently.).

Here is what the recording command looks like:

ecasound -r -b:32 -f:16,2,44100
> -a:1 -i drums.wav
> -a:2 -i vocal1.wav
> -a:1,2 -o /dev/dsp
-a:3 -i /dev/dsp -o guitar2.wav

It all sounds fine as I'm recording it. When I go to play it back the new
guitar part is late by a little bit. I've tried different buffer sizes,
-z:db, everything I could think of (the limiting factor!). I have a SB
PCI128, very generic. I am using ALSA 0.9.0Beta2. I have Mandrake 7.2 with
kernel 2.2.17 and a brand-new system with up-to-date parts.

Would the playback command affect the synch?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Roy C.

--
Roy Cutler
rcutler@bigfoot.com