[ecasound] wierd amplitude behavior

Subject: [ecasound] wierd amplitude behavior
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 03:40:29 EET

Hi,

As you may know, I multicast audio and use ecasound for it.

so I have

ecasound -i /tmp/in-peppy.raw -o /tmp/out-peppy.raw -c

these are fifos - another program feeds them the audio.

If I run

mrec 239.1.1.3/24119|ecasound -i stdin -o null -ev

that is the raw /dev/dsp group and produces that you could amplify with
1.97nnnn or like 197%

but

mrec 239.1.2.3/24431|ecasound -i stdin -o null -ev

produces the statement that says the amplitude is running at 1.000000 or
is properly set.

adding -ea:100 then -kl1:1,100,197,15 (because it is live) brings the
level up properly and it does not clip. As a test, I pulled it up from
197 to 200 in the middle of a stop set to see if it would clip and it did,
so I took it back down to 197.

I don't know if this makes sense at all, so if it does not please drop me
a note and I'll try and clarify. It is with current CVS as of a couple
days ago.

_J