Re: [ecasound] skipping unwanted portions of an audio file.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] skipping unwanted portions of an audio file.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 19:08:13 EET

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> appears that it is possible to manually extract and then recombine parts
> of an audiofile only by a number of manual cut & paste operations. Have
> I missed something or is it possible to play for a predermined period,
> skip forward a few thousand seconds and then start playing again,
> possibly a number of times. This would not be for live play, but would

This kind of cutting and pasting is possible, but not with a single
ecasound operation. In theory, the ewf-format could be extended to include
support for selecting multiple ranges from a single (or perhaps multiple?)
big audio file, but at the moment, this is not possible. However, it's
quite easy to put together a bash script to do the necessary steps:

ecasound -i big-file.wav -o target.wav -y:0 -t:20
ecasound -i big-file.wav -y:40 -o target.wav -y:20 -t:10
ecasound -i big-file.wav -y:100 -o target.wav -y:30 -t:40
ecasound -i big-file.wav -y:500 -o target.wav -y:70 -t:100

... so this cuts ranges [0,20], [40,50], [100,140] and [500,600] to file
'target.wav'. After the last operation, 'target.wav' should be
20+10+40+100=170sec long. If you need to do this a lot, it might be easier
to write a shell script or a small program that takes the wanted ranges as
its input, and translates them into a ecasound script. Basicly you just
need to calculate the -y:x values for 'target.wav' at different stages...
0+20=20 -> 20+10=30 -> 30+40=70 ... and so on.

> in picking up the new start point is irrelevant. I have tried stacking
> -y:seconds -t:seconds commands, but unless I have the wrong syntax, this
> doesnt work.

This is not possible.