Re: [ecasound] Ecasound Newbie. A simple problem.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound Newbie. A simple problem.
From: Francesco Colferai (yagelist@radiofujiko.it)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 01:43:26 EET

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 07:41:37PM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> At the moment general support for sharing soundcard access is not very
> good. It is possible, but you have to play with ALSA or OSS/com driver
> options (possibly ESD), to get this working. However, you could do
> something like...:
>
> ecasound -a:1,2 -i /dev/dsp -a:1 -o low_quality.mp3 -a:2 -o full_quality.wav
>
> ... so you'd save the audio in two different formats. Then you could have
> a cronjob that would remove all unnecessary full-quality files, and only
> archive the mp3s. For instance, you might have last 24 hours archived in
> full quality. This way you wouldn't need to mess with driver options.

Ive made a small C program which binds into a port and can be used to open and close stdin->stdout on demand so i can do:

ecasound -a:1,2 -i:/dev/dsp -a:1 -o lowquality.mp3 -a:2 -o stdout | myprogram | lame highquality.mp3

So i just need to connect to the right port tell him to start and lame encodes, when i say stop it stops. If someone is interested i can post client/server sources, they are very simple.

Tnx,
again, great program,
bye.

--
Vermouth always makes me brilliant unless it makes me idiotic.
Warning this mail can contain Skazzo(TM).