[ecasound] How does configure determine ALSA support?

Subject: [ecasound] How does configure determine ALSA support?
From: J. Gareth Williams (jgw@telperiondigital.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 18:00:57 EET

Hi,

I'm trying to get ALSA support compiled into ecasound 1.8.2-r14 and having
a hard time.

I was wondering how the configure script determines whether or not to
compile ALSA support. The only test I could find was for "main in
-lasound", which I presume is the ALSA library. The results of this test
are negative, but I _do_ have ALSA 0.5.9b installed, and
/usr/lib/libasound.so.1 is present.

So I get to the end of the script, and configure determines that ALSA
support should NOT be compiled. I've tried with --enable-alsa=yes, too.

I'm running Debian potato (although I pointed apt-get to the unstable tree
to pick up alsa). I've built ecasound without any problems at all on my
old RedHat installation, so this is just kind of weird.

Any advice or slaps about the head would help me a great deal!

gareth

...wondering if switching from Red Hat to Debian was a bit too much
excitement for me :)