[ecasound] syncronizing tracks

Subject: [ecasound] syncronizing tracks
From: Mario Lang (mlang@home.delysid.org)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 19:30:03 EET

Hi.

Back to my main music making problem: How do I sync different tracks.
I have some synths around here, but I am not able to do the whole
thing at once. So I would like to record separate tracks
and mix them together at a later time.
What do you guys use to do this?
About eca and midi sync. As I got it ecasound can send start/stop signals on the
midi bus. Can this be combined with a clock.
E.g., when I know that my original track was made with 170bpm,
can I tell ecasound to set this speed for all midi devices
when doing record?

Or is there a way to record the timer ticks with the audio track so
that this track can automatically sync midi devices?

Personally I would like the last mentioned way of doing things most.
A way to record just the timing information from /dev/midi in a separate datafile
and play it back in combination with the old tracks.
This would make it possible to record one track and along
with it all the clicks. When recording a second track, ecasound would
need to be in so-called "master-mode" and send start on mid.
If it were sending midi clicks too, the midi devices would be perfectly
in sync with the audio track.

I am looking for some of your experience with this topic.

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>

"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night hacking (and/or conversations with God)." (By Matt Welsh)

CYa, Mario <mlang@delysid.org> Homepage(s): http://delysid.org | http://piss.at/

As pointed out in a followup, Real Perl Programmers prefer things to be visually distinct. -- Larry Wall in <199710161841.LAA13208@wall.org>