Re: [ecasound] MIDI controller latency

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MIDI controller latency
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 10:35:58 EET

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 ben@slumber.dhs.org wrote:

>>> I use ecasound with OSS emulation). When controlling effects parameters
>>> with an external MIDI controller I get a large latency (about 1 second)
>> [...]
>> > problem with ALSA, because I can use the controller in realtime with
>> > another program (SpiralSynth). What could be going on? Any help would
> Is there any other possible fix in sight, or should I just wait for
> 1.9.x? Is that code in progress yet?

Ok, finally I had time to check this. It seems that SpriralSynth opens
/dev/midi in nonblocking mode, while ecasound uses blocking mode. So this
suggests that the problem is in the driver level (ie. latency problems if
opened in blocking mode). But, what the heck, I'll just might ecasound to
use nonblocking mode, too. It isn't that big of a change, so I guess I
slip it into 1.8.x. Of course, if non-blocking causes other problems, I'll
have to revert to the old code.