[ecasound] (fwd) [alsa-user] SBLive & emu10k1 driver producing static

Subject: [ecasound] (fwd) [alsa-user] SBLive & emu10k1 driver producing static
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 23:07:11 EET

Here's something that settles definitely the question about this static:
it _is_ driver related.

----- Forwarded message from Keith Warno <pr0n@optonline.net> -----

From: Keith Warno <pr0n@optonline.net>
To: ALSA List <alsa-user@alsa-project.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:08:23 -0500 (EST)

kernel 2.2.17 & alsa-driver 0.5.9d
OR
kernel 2.2.18 & alsa-driver 0.5.10

Hi,
I'm noticing a bit of static under some circumstances when using alsa
with OSS emulation. One circumstance: playing mp3s with mpg123
v0.59r and playing a game of quake3. :) The static is heard when the
mp3 music is playing and a q3 map is loading up at the same time.
Rather odd.

Another instance which, I think, is already known about: using xmms with
the xmms OSS output plugin, static is heard within the first few seconds
of playing mp3s.

In either case, is the static the application's fault or ALSA's fault?
I'm thinking it may be quirky OSS emulation because I don't experience
the static when using the most recent (emu10k1-20001220) driver from
Creative.

:/

If anyone can confirm any of my claims, please do so.

Thanks,
kw

--
10:42pm up 48 min, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.08
Keith Warno    [h]<pr0n@optonline.net> || [w]<keith.warno@valaran.com>