Re: [ecasound] Newbie - can't write ecasound recorded .wav files to CD

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Newbie - can't write ecasound recorded .wav files to CD
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 02:28:14 EET

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Larry Weaver wrote:

> I was successful in recording a series of .wav files using ecasound, but
[...]
> is not in audio format. Playing it under Winamp also doesn't work - it
> doesn't complain, just doesn't do anything. Is there some other format (than

Hmm, this is interesting. I have used wav-files created with ecasound with
numerous Windows audio apps without problems, but I admit it's been a
while since I last used any Windows audio app, so this isn't actually
fresh test material. :) What version of ecasound did you use?

> somebody can tell me where the FM is - the ecasound man pages sort of assume
> that everybody knows what .cdr, etc., mean.

Or the opposite - ie. the man page writer didn't know enough so he decided
to skip those formats. :) Here's what sox man page says about cdr:

--cut--
       .cdr CD-R
                 CD-R files are used in mastering music Compact
                 Disks. The file format is, as you might expect,
                 raw stereo raw unsigned samples at 44khz. But,
                 there's some blocking/padding oddity in the for-
                 mat, so it needs its own handler.
--cut--

So the format is based on the audio-cd standard, but it's not really an
audio _file_ format (standard specifies the audio format, but doesn't say
anything about files). I've seen both .cdr and .cdda extensions used to
identify these files. But they are really just raw data that happens to be
in the same format as specified in the CD-DA standard. I don't know if any
Windows apps accept .cdr/.cdda files.