[ecasound] Questions arising while using ECI

Subject: [ecasound] Questions arising while using ECI
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 05:05:55 EET

Hi,

I'm taking five minutes here and there to write a little piece of code
using ecasound. It's basically a little tool to facilitate the
recording of tracks (Integrating monitoring, metronome, etc.) and I
have a few questions...

- I've found out that to know the length of an object (a file) it has
to have been placed in a chainsetup that has been connected at one
time. Thus in a setup where you want to set a processing time (-t)
based on the length of a file, you have to:
- connect chainsetup
- check if cs was successfully connected
- retrieve file length
- disconnect cs (-t can't be set on a connected chainsetup)
- set -t
- reconnect cs
- check if cs was successfully reconnected
This is no great bother, but I'd like to know if there's a quicker or
more efficient way to do it.

- What is preferred when setting i/o's, chainops and so on? As I see
there is two approaches: command-line fashion vs. iam fashion. So for
example "-o:/dev/dsp" is equal to "aio-add-output /dev/dsp", is that
right? If so, is there a preferred way of these two or is it just a
matter of taste?

- Maybe it would be nice if some of the most trivial commands were
turned into their own functions with their error reporting
integrated. For example, every apps using ecasound has to use
cs-connect or start. I know it goes against the thought of "as simple
and clean as possible" which was the chief thought while developing
this API, on the other hand it might simplify (or avoid redundant
code) things in some cases.

S. Massy