Re: [ecasound] heteca roadmap

Subject: Re: [ecasound] heteca roadmap
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 13:29:20 EET

> > Ok. The problem I have with pyncurses is that when I freshly
> > installed Mandrake 7.2 over 7.0, it (the .rpm) stopped working. I
> [...]
> > from ncurses.panel import *
> > File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/panel.py", line 23, in ?
> > File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/curses.py", line 23, in ?
> > ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/_curses.so: undefined symbol: trace
>
> Seems you have to recompile the ncurses python wrappers. The wrappers you
> are now using, are linked against a version of libncurses which has a
> symbol 'trace' (you can check this with "nm /usr/lib/libncurses.a | grep
> trace")...

    I did. (you edited out that part!) Well, I compiled them again, with no errors that I could see, and same problem. Maybe I should hunt down a ncurses-version
with 'trace' symbols? Or remove the symbols from the wrapper sources? (and distribute it?)

> Ok, ECI implementation is going well at the moment, so it probably won't
> take long before the APIs are ready for public use.

> -- >8< --

> ... so things are looking good. :) But of course, there's still
> a lot to be done: the language specific implementations, adding
> the new 'observer' commands to EIAM, event system, writing examples,
> etc...

    I've been thinking about proper wrappings in python and how to separate them sanely from heteca. Startings of which can be seen:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~jhalttun/heteca/heteca-HTML/Heteca/ifc/ecaiam2.py.html
(from the class ChainSetups to below)

Hope it isn't too abstract.

jsh