Re: [ecasound] [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin" (fwd)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin" (fwd)
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 18:05:42 EET

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, S. Massy wrote:
>
> >>hermes = -el:hermesFilter,3,0,0.27,1,100,1,40,1,1.5,1,2,-4,-4,-50,\
> >>-20,-20,-20,200,1000,3,1,3,5,1500,0.65,0,130,0,5,400,0.8,0,0,\
> >>-177,1,150,0.9,0.97,30,30,0.025,0.9,0.5,0.05,0.7,0.5,0.1,0.5,0.5,0,-20,-20
> > I'm sorry, but does this work for you? I tried it and only got garbage
> > out. I tried it both, in real time and processing from file to file,
> > neither worked. What sort of wave did you feed in?
>
> Hmm, when trying out new effects, I usually try drumloops first. Human
> voice is also good material for effects (it's easier to notice what
> is being altered). One problem with Hermes is that it really sounds
> strange. It models an old Swiss analog synth, so don't expect to get
> digital clarity. :)
Well, that's exactly why I was interested to try it out, but I only get a short buzz and then silence. :(

> But, but, have you tried with applyplugin (that comes with LADSPA
> toolkit)? By doing this, you can make sure that ecasound is working
Applyplugin complained that I was trying to feed it with a stereo wave (Conflicting with the channel count given with the plugin parameters.). Tried to find out where was that parameter with analyzeplugin but couldn't find it. So I fed it with a mono file and got silence anyway (after a short buzz, just like with ecasound.)
> properly. Another thing to try is to tweak the parameters. For instance,
> set the last three parameters to zero. Another set of useful parameters is
> the waveform selectors...
>
> > LADSPA plugins seem very interesting, their descriptions at least fill
> > me with excitement at the thought of trying them: maybe I wouldn't
> > need such an extensive effects rack if some of these "dreams" came
> > true. But every time, I find the plugins almost impossible to
>
> Hmm, don't no about you, but I wouldn't give up my rack gear, no matter
> how good effects I have on the computer. It's just so different. Btw;
Of course, but there are really weird effects that you can get on a computer and you wouldn't be able to get them with a traditional setup, unless it is REALLY extensive. Both have their nice sides, although I tend to stick with "hard" effects.
(Now let's not say more: don't want to see another of those "digital vs. analogue" or "multi vs. single effect boxes" flame; there are enough on usenet :) )
> what do you think about the "imitate-hardware-as-closely-as-possible"
> approach that seems so dominant in the mac/win audio world. Here's
> a very good example, Propellerheads' Reason:
>
> http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2000/Reason-Released.html
>
> Now to be honest, I couldn't picture myself working with this kind of
> computer-sw. What do you think?
Huuuh, nope. But then I'm a knob (or parameter) tweaker, I wouldn't feel at ease with a setup like this.

> > use. There are a lot of parameters and they are, IMHO, very poorly
> > documented. As I see it, your only reference is the descriptions and
> > number ranges given with analyzeplugin, is that right? I've found no
> > other docs apart from the one explaining how to write ladspa plugins,
> > is there something I haven't seen? As it is, the only worthy source of
>
> Well, that's about it really. And for most plugins, the parameter
> descriptions are enough, but of course for the more complex plugins,
> documentation would help. But you must remember, that we are not talking
> about commercial plugins here. Like with free-sw apps, authors tend to be
> lazy doc writers. But this isn't necessarily bad, as you also have the
Well, yeah: though there's a difference between sparse doc and NO doc at all!
> same benefits as with free-sw. For instance, if you spend lots of time
> studying some LADSPA plugin, you could sum up your experiences and
> write a short document yourself. When more people do this, we'd have
> more and more docs available. Making some good presets (based on the
> plugins) is another way to share your knowledge.
That is what makes free software/open source so wonderful, IMHO.