[ecasound] sync challenge! :)

Subject: [ecasound] sync challenge! :)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 04:31:28 EET

I just made minor adjustements to engine code which handles
multitrack sync. This should make multitrack recording even more
reliable. I tested the changes on my machine using ALSA's
OSS-emulation. I managed to record fine using pretty weird ecasound
setups. Now it would be great if you get test the changes, and try to
find a combination that triggers sync-problems. I ran my tests with
the following scripts:

# first, plain and simple
ecasound_debug -c -x -b:1024 -d:255 \
        -a:1 -i monitor.wav \
        -a:1 -o /dev/dsp \
        -a:2 -i /dev/dsp \
        -a:2 -o target.wav

# then with a huge buffersize (8192samples ~= 190ms)
ecasound_debug -c -x -b:8192 -d:255 \
        -a:1 -i monitor.wav \
        -a:1 -o /dev/dsp \
        -a:2 -i /dev/dsp \
        -a:2 -o target.wav

# in the first two I used hw-monitoring (enabled line-in from the
# soundcard mixer); now I do the monitoring with ecasound
ecasound_debug -c -x -b:256 -d:255 \
        -a:1 -i monitor.wav \
        -a:2,3 -i /dev/dsp \
        -a:2 -o target.wav \
        -a:1,3 -o /dev/dsp

PS If the debug info annoys you, omit the "-d:255". But if you do
   have problems, include the "-d:255" and search for line:
   "(eca-main) sync fix: xxx" ... this info will be useful for
   debugging.
PPS Just updated the CVS.