Re: [ecasound] blast of static when using /dev/dsp

Subject: Re: [ecasound] blast of static when using /dev/dsp
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 18:49:57 EET

Slightly delayed answer... ;)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, S. Massy wrote:

>>> that everytime the playback is started (with t) or restarted (s then
>>> t) there's a short blast of static (maybe half a second). I did the
>> Hmm, this might be related to OSS triggering feature. Most apps using OSS
> I just tried playing with the buffersize and here's what I've found out:
> The problem is almost inaudible at a buffersize of 1024 and increases
> steadily as the buffersize is reduced so that it is very loud once
> down to 128. Does this confirm what you suspected?

Hmm, not directly, but on the other hand, all soundcard related
problems tend to get worse as you lower the buffersize (--> less room
for timing/etc errors). So OSS-triggering is still the prime suspect. Does
this behaviour still exist? I just tried to reproduce this on my machine
with ALSA 0.6.x's OSS-emulation, but no static whatsoever.