Re: [ecasound] mpg123 input quirks

Subject: Re: [ecasound] mpg123 input quirks
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 18:27:28 EET

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, S. Massy wrote:

> In a previous post I had mentioned the problems with mp3 input (or
> rather the ineffectiveness of the format detection). Now I've stumbled

Ok, now I know why this issue has been so messy. mpg123 seems to always
output 16bit-stereo to standard output, even if the mp3 is mono. So if
ecasound recognized that the input is a mono file, it'll interpret the
audio stream wrong, and if just handles all mpg123 input as stereo, mono
streams will come out as stereo streams with right channel muted.

> I have an mp3 stream that has been downsampled to 11025 HZ/S but
> ecasound will only process it properly if I pretend it to be sampled
> at 22050. Anyone can tell me what is the matter here?

Probably caused by the same mess. Ecasound has to calculate the sample
rate from the bitrate. Now if there are any confusion about the
mono/stereo issue, also sample rate will be wrong. :(