Re: [ecasound] Trying to normalize two channels independently

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Trying to normalize two channels independently
From: Andy Loening (loening@ucla.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 20:55:22 EET

Allright, after wasting two weeks building a new computer and trying to
get Redhat 7.0 to compile software (avoid, I'm back to 6.2), I return with
my original question.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, I have a live audience recording where
I'd like to normalize the left and right channels independently to utilize
the full 16 bits of dynamic range (the left channel needs ~133%, the right
~181%)

So, I grabbed the cvs version of ecasound/etc, and threw it the following
commands (doesn't crash now, yeah!).

#to convert to two channels
ecasound -sr:48000 \
 -a:1,2 -i 2nd_encore.wav \
 -a:1 -f:s16_le,1,48000 -o channel_1.wav \
 -a:2 -f:s16_le,1,48000 -o channel_2.wav -erc:2,1

#and then normalize each channel
ecanormalize channel_1.wav
ecanormalize channel_2.wav

#to combine back into one channel
ecasound -sr:48000 \
 -a:1 -f:s16_le,1,48000 -i channel_1.wav \
 -a:2 -f:s16_le,1,48000 -i channel_2.wav \
 -a:1,2 -f:s16_le,2,48000 -o try_again.wav

It all seems okay up until the last command where I'm trying to convert
the two mono channels back into a single stereo file. When I use the
command as written above, I get both incoming channels on the left channel
of the output file.

Can anyone tell me how I could get the mono channel from channel_2.wav
(the original right channel) to show up on the right channel of the output
stereo file?

I also have a question about ecanormalize. Is ecanormalize going to
internally resample to 44100 when it's doing it's thing?

Thanks,
        Andy