[ecasound] ecasound wish request

Subject: [ecasound] ecasound wish request
From: Lindsay Haisley (fmouse@fmp.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 19:31:27 EEST

I need to use ecasound in a scripted context with mp3c. mp3c is a
curses-based ripper/encoder wrapper which runs other software to do the
actual work, as specified in its config file. The console output of
processes which it runs monitored and reported in a window by mp3c.

ecasound apparently buffers its output if redirection of stdout is in
effect, preventing monitoring of warnings or other process output as it
occurs.

I need some way of making ecasound flush its output buffer after each
console write, regardless of the context. I've tried a number of silly
shell tricks which often work for this, but no luck!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to make ecasound output unbuffered, line by
line, without bolding, to stderr, as do lame and cdparanoia. mp3c reads the
stderr stream rather than stdout when monitoring child processes.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at