[ecasound] blast of static when using /dev/dsp

Subject: [ecasound] blast of static when using /dev/dsp
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 23:27:46 EEST

Hi,

For a while I had noticed this problem but I had never took time to
make sure that it was ecasound related before today. It would appear
that everytime the playback is started (with t) or restarted (s then
t) there's a short blast of static (maybe half a second). I did the
same test with different apps that use /dev/dsp and it seems that only
ecasound is plagued with this problem. A test using alsa output in
place of /dev/dsp ( -o:alsa,0,0 ) proved that the problem is solely
present when using the oss output. What is this problem related to?
Hasn't anyone else noticed this?

regards,
S. Massy